At the beginning of this January, I had no idea that by the end of it I will be opening my professional blog and write a year in review for ProteusThemes. But as the month was passing by, lots of people I admire and look up to published their retrospective and shared the vision they formed for themselves and their businesses for the future.
git grep is amazing! You should start using it right now.
Here are several reasons why:
- It is blazing fast. I doubt any code editor or IDE comes close to search in a terminal.
- If you keep your repo lean and tidy, it will only search for your source files. Everything that’s not a source should not reside in the repository anyway (i.e. compiled
node_modules/by npm …)
- You will be able to use different regex flavors for search.
- You can easily filter down to specific file types.
- You have docs at hand by typing
git help grep.