git grep is amazing! You should start using it right now.
Here are several reasons why:
- It is blazing fast. I doubt any code editor or IDE comes close to search in a terminal.
- If you keep your repo lean and tidy, it will only search for your source files. Everything that’s not a source should not reside in the repository anyway (i.e. compiled
node_modules/by npm …)
- You will be able to use different regex flavors for search.
- You can easily filter down to specific file types.
- You have docs at hand by typing
git help grep.